[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Ignition coil circut

Ignition coil circut

Here we will discuss many topics on electronic designs and circuits for various functions. PIC Chip programming has enormous potential in so many applications, that will be included in this forum as well.

Ignition coil circut

Postby kevinsatterfield » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:47 pm

kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby kevinsatterfield » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:50 pm

being that that coil is made for high rpm would it be possible to fire the coil at high freaquency to an ozone gerator and switch from the out put to the ozone genrator to the hydrogen genrator at a lower freaquency ?kinda rob the ozone generator of 7.5 times a second? while still supply'n the ozone generator the other pulses not needed for the hydrogen generator?just so the coil is constantly fire'n at a high freaquency?Any help?
kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby nebbian » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:20 am

Hi Kevin,

There are two possible problems here.

One is the 1N4001 diode -- I assume it's there to protect the 555 timer from hooking up the power backwards, however in the circuit given it's making the transistor turn partially on all the time.
Try shorting out this diode as a quick and dirty test, or if you've got more time, move it inline with the positive power supply for the 555. Make sure that power for the coil doesn't flow through this diode, you'll blow it if so.

The second possibility is the duty cycle. If this is too high, you're wasting power and heating up the ballast resistor unnecessarily. Get a multimeter, attach it to 0V and the negative terminal of the coil. Put the multimeter on DC volts, and adjust the duty cycle pot so that you get the highest possible voltage on the negative terminal while still having a good spark.

Good luck :)
nebbian
Regular Poster

Postby Steve-tee » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:24 am

Howdy Kevinsatterfield,

A wee while back, I designed a powerful spark generator for use with pulse-jet engines. To present it to others who wished to build one, I put up a website.

Take a looky here:

http://www.geocities.com/amptramp2002/

My little site features my circuit design, technical descriptions, pictures and videos.
This device has run in bursts of over 20hrs, non stop. There is no heating of the transistor, as it is a Mosfet that is being switched with a carefully tailored pulse stream.
The only part that becomes warm, is the coil. Any spark plugs attached thereto, will become very hot, if left running for a while :) .

Please do feel free to have a look there. At the very least, you'll find useful info there on the theory of its operation.

A modified version I designed, can be found here:

http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/download.php?id=2635

This is very similar to the one on my website, but draws way less power and delivers a weaker spark.
This one is good for electric fences, as it is less likely to set fire to the animals :twisted: .

Oh, for a bit of a laugh, and to get an idea of how versatile a stream of sparks can be, take a look here - be sure to turn up the sound for this :)

http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/files/ ... anner2.wmv

Here's hoping this will be helpful.

Best wishes, from a fellow lover of high voltages :D

Steven-tee
Give me a pile of junk, and I will turn it into all sorts of really neat stuff :) .
Steve-tee
Regular Poster

Postby kevinsatterfield » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:20 pm

Hey nebbian...wat do ya mean 0V? I think it is the duty cycle but wil try the diode thing too.If im pulse'n an anode that has 12v on it already it runs for just a minute and then fades out to a blank "clik" (no spark but still some noise).

Stevie those are some imressive sparks you have there.Those ignition molecules yer make'n.....can you tell me how they can be used to accelerate a current flow?I dont know if there is a formula for this or not.But say I have 22 amp current flow with 12volts....I need to increase the current speed with those ignition molecules would you be able to explain how this could be done with succes?
kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby Steve-tee » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:13 am

Howdy Kevinsatterfield,

Thanks kindly :) . Those sparks are mighty hot and pack one heck of a punch.
I have had a shock from it, and I really thought my heart had stopped!
if you build this, be really careful with those 'ignition molecules' :) .

Now, 'accelerating a current flow'. I am not quite sure what you mean.
Could it be that you want to have a 22Amp, 12V baseline with a series of 20,000V spikes in it?
If you could elaborate, I'd be most appreciative.

The current that is available from my sparker is not very great. We are talking about milliamps at the very most, as the spark coil is really just a transformer that is working in resonant mode.
If you try to draw any real current from the output, you'll quickly discover that the voltage has fallen to woefully low levels :( .
This is due to the impedance of the spark coil's secondary winding.
If you were to employ a spark gap, you could improve upon this, as you'd then be providing a sort of impedance matching device.
This is a little trick I learned when trying to start an engine that had fouled sparkplugz :) .

Anyway, if you could let me know how you wish to use those mega volts, I am sure I can offer a helping hand.

Best wishes,
Steve-tee.
Give me a pile of junk, and I will turn it into all sorts of really neat stuff :) .
Steve-tee
Regular Poster

Postby kevinsatterfield » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:50 pm

kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby kevinsatterfield » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:54 pm

kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby Bob Boyce » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:41 pm

Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

Postby kevinsatterfield » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:22 pm

kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby kevinsatterfield » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:37 pm

Maybe Hermans system wasnt like Horvaths' system....lol i get xcited when i read something that seems like is provide'n help and clues to wat hermans system was doing.....i wont give up on it and cant wait for that Hex to come out and play..... 8)

But as far as---- "Could it be that you want to have a 22Amp, 12V baseline with a series of 20,000V spikes in it?----- "

yes, that wuld be a kewl start if you dont mind..as simple as that sounds i fear its prolly more complicated than it appears.....
kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby Steve-tee » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:13 pm

Howdy Kevinsatterfield,

Hmmm, looks like this is indeed more complex than it appears.
If I understand correctly, you have 22 amps of current flowing into your cells at 12V.
At regular intervals, you want this voltage to rise towards 20,000V - then return to the 12V figure.

Given that we have 22 amps at 12V, the cell's impedance works out at 0.54 ohms.
If we try to jam 20,000 volts into an impedance of 0.54 ohms, we'd be trying to cram 37000 amps into it.

I really don't think all those amps will fit!
They'd surely pour out through the top of the cell!
Ok, enough of the silly stuff ;) .

The high tension device I have designed, is not capable of providing any real current, so I don't feel that it will be helpful to you.
The impedance ratio between the high tension coil and the 22 amp cell would tend to limit the high tension output to about 12.1 volts :(

Perhaps I have mis-understood your intended application? :?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Best wishes,
Steve.

[quote="
But as far as---- "Could it be that you want to have a 22Amp, 12V baseline with a series of 20,000V spikes in it?----- "

yes, that wuld be a kewl start if you dont mind..as simple as that sounds i fear its prolly more complicated than it appears.....[/quote]
Steve-tee
Regular Poster

Postby kevinsatterfield » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:53 pm

Stevie....Thank You for your input but I really think you can help even more......I'll try and explain more....

The cell to my understanding is switched off from the 12v and 22 amps and then the 20,000v charge on the plate is applied.This is done at rate to create a standing wave with the 12v and 20,000v charges.Does that seem possible?I may have the standing wave idea all wrong but that is wat we're after is a standing wave with the 12v and the HV charge wich in paticular is 70,000volts.The man that made this claim said he had two coils special made from Mallory.(2 ) 35,000 volt coils and wired together.The main thing is to get that standing wave with the 12v and 70,000volts.Can you give me some detail on wat needs to be made in order to accomplish the standing wave?IM totaly lost as how the HV charge from ignition coils play a role in a standing wave.Another MAIN thing is to get the HV charge to plates and into the cell.The HV charge is soppose to ionize the gasses ON the anode and give the ions a PUSH to the cathode at a fatser speed than the 12volts.Im totaly lost on the idea.
kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby kevinsatterfield » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:13 pm

kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby nobody » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:58 am

nobody
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Electronics, Circuits & PIC Chips