[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Ravi's Meyer Replication- Tap Water to H2

Ravi's Meyer Replication- Tap Water to H2

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Postby omnibill » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:57 pm

I saw a video of someone conditioning the tubes. He had a variac connected to a transformer. It was probably a 12V transformer. The output of the transformer went to a diode bridge and then to the cell.

I just fired up my cell yesterday and will also need to condition it. I do not have a large enough variac so I think I will use a resistor in series with the cell to control the current.

My cell is drawing too much current like the above post. It is running at 7A when pulsing it and it draws 10A when connected just to a 12V battery. I was using filtered tap water. I will try distilled water to get the current down.

I am not using an inductor yet but I noticed I am getting 75 volt spikes across the mosfet. My mosfet is only rated for 55V so I will need another one. I could use a surge suppressor but I think it is good to have the spikes.
omnibill

Postby hanshuber88 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:38 pm

I accidentally wrote "without" inductors instead of "with".

Sorry folks

Kind regards,
hanshuber
hanshuber88

Postby omnibill » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:38 pm

When I changed to distilled water what a major difference. The current dropped to one tenth its former value.
omnibill

Postby demartin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:11 am

demartin

Postby demartin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:18 am

demartin

Postby FarrahDay » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:39 am

Farrah Day.
FarrahDay
Regular Poster

Postby FarrahDay » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:56 am

Farrah Day.
FarrahDay
Regular Poster

Postby demartin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:59 am

Here are some waveforms measured between ground and the cathode of my water cell. Was using a signal generator without DC bias, going into a diode / inductor / water-cell / inductor circuit. I'm posting these to show what the charging choke does.

First one is with the ferrite rod wound with two layers of 150 turns for the two inductors:

You can see the spikes there caused when the inductor field collapses but gets blocked by the diode.

Next is the same thing with a sine wave:

So a sine wave works too.

When frequency is turned up so that the square wave 'swallows' the 3rd, and 4th "bounces" of the charging choke's flyback spike, it looks like this:

And if turned up further to also swallow the 2nd, I got this, where the flyback spike is highest of all the frequencies:

Is this what is meant by achieving "charging choke resonance"?

You can do the same for the sine wave:

Then with a 250 mH inductor:

Larger inductor makes for wider flyback peaks, peaks farther apart, and somewhat higher voltage.

For this larger inductor, the max flyback peak with sine waves happens here:

I have not yet gotten the "doubling of frequency" that Meyer talked about. Sure, in that last image above there is a sine peak and then a spike, so both together make for double frequency of input, but Meyer's diagrams showed what looked like a full-wave rectified sine wave coming out of the diode or resonant charging choke. Instead, these peaks I have are too narrow, higher than the surrounding square/sine peaks, and not centered between them either.
demartin

Postby kevinsatterfield » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:08 am

demartin,

was your production more from the first pik?
keep on keep'n on 8)
kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby demartin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:28 pm

No bubbles, this was straight from my signal generator into a 5-tube cell filled with distilled water. The signal generator let me have precise frequency, duty cycle, and square/sine wave control in order to see what the choke does.

I can get some bubbles if I hook it up to my Lawton circuit since it has more power, but ran into problems measuring it. First, whereas the signal generator was doing -6V to 6V, the lawton circuit goes 0V to 12V. That's just a 6V DC bias, but I think DC bias does alter the permeability of ferrite cores so I wouldn't get exactly the same response as with the signal generator.

So then I put a ferrite toroid transformer between the lawton circuit and the VIC to get a good +/- swing, cranked up the voltage to get more power into the distilled water cell, and then made the mistake of turning down the frequency too low where the 50% duty cycle square wave was DC too long during the mark period, and thus the MOSFET started smoking from all the DC current draining through the primary. Goodbye dear MOSFET.

I need to make an iron powder toroid transformer and possibly either modify the Lawton circuit to give +/- or build an amplifier for my signal generator to produce sine waves. Guessing that electrical isolation of the VIC might be what allows the charging to step up, so the transformer may be necessary. See,Meyer was all about economical means, and if he could have gotten rid of the transformer (as is absent in the Lawton non-alternator circuit) he probably would have.
demartin

Postby kevinsatterfield » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:35 pm

demartin,

Wuld there be a way to get the Lawton circuit to put out a 0v to -12v pulse?
kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby demartin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:30 pm

For that you would just switch the output leads from the Lawton circuit, right?
demartin

Postby kevinsatterfield » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:42 am

kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby kaosad » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:59 pm

kaosad
Regular Poster

Postby piccolo » Thu May 01, 2008 12:41 pm

Hey with cells acting more like a capacitor then a battery i flip flop shifter idea will work even better.
Because a capacitor is more effishent when voltage is fist applied.

The first idea was to turn the cells on then off with the flip flops and let the capacitance produces some HHO while its off. but thing i have a 2nd idea that will be much better.

The 2nd idea is to run wire from the resets on the flip flops, so that when a cells is off i use the reset trigger another relay that will short the cell so that its loses its charge.

This will allow us to fully take advantage of when the voltage is applied to the cell.

hope this was clear. ill hope to have it tested soon.
piccolo

PreviousNext

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis